Synthesis and molecular engineering of nanomaterials, such as inorganic nanoparticles, carbons, nanoporous materials and membranes underpin many innovations in medicine, energy and environmental technologies.
Materials Engineering has an important role in current and emerging technologies, contributing to all areas of engineering through materials expertise including developing new materials, optimising existing and controlling disposal of materials. Key areas in material science at UQ Chemical Engineering include clean energy, health care, environmental and food science.
Key Research Areas
- Biomaterials - Prof Justin Cooper-White, Prof Darren Martin
- Food engineering - Prof Jason Stokes
- Novel and functional nanomaterials - Prof Suresh Bhatia, Prof Joe da Costa, Prof Darren Martin, Dr Tom Rufford, Dr Simon Smart, Prof George Zhao, Prof John Zhu
- Polymers and biopolymers - Prof Peter Halley, Prof Paul Lant, Dr Steven Pratt, A/Prof Rowan Truss
- Rheology - Prof Peter Halley, Dr Tim Nicholson, Prof Jason Stokes
Related School Centres and Groups